Policy Deployment – aka Strategy Deployment or Hoshin Kanri– is all about how you release and drive your business strategy through your organisation, and how this strategy’s success is measured.
Organisations frequently fall into the trap of using purely accounting metrics to measure performance.
Policy Deployment is a practise which puts the best drivers of success in place as the measurement metrics, and empowers your leaders to make decisions on this basis.
Policy Deployment empowers your people
Policy Deployment is an approach that makes your business goals clear to every leader. Each business goal must have clear metrics, and a clear plan to achieve the goal.
Hoshin Kanri – where Policy Deployment comes from – is the Japanese business practise of Policy Deployment. It focusses on
- The Shared Goals
- Communicating these goals to all leaders
- Involving all leaders in planning to achieve these goal
- Holding all participants (i.e. you and your people!) accountable for achieving their part of the plan
The key is that “With hoshin kanri… the daily crush of events and quarterly bottom-line pressures do not take precedence over strategic plans, rather, these short-term activities are determined and managed by the plans themselves.”
So – Make your policies clear, and deploy them to your leaders!
This process boils down to a simple process:
- Establish up to 4 Business Goals
- Prioritise them
- Make the metrics clear
- Plan how you will achieve these Business Goals WITH your leaders
- Break them into initiatives
- Plan ALL projects and activities into those initiatives – nothing else matters!
- Empower your leaders to work to these Business Goals
- Move all other distractions out of the way