This guide will explain the important parts of a Project Roadmap. It includes workstreams, activities, timelines, risk levels and other elements needed for an effective project roadmap.
1. Quickly communicates project plans and goals.
2. Manages stakeholder expectations.
3. Generates a shared understanding across the teams involved.
4. Communicates plans with other important teams/organisations.
1. Must Have: The Project Goals articulated; at least in the deliverables listed.
2. Must Have: A timeline – to show when things will happen.
3. Must Have: The high level titles for the big deliverables (don’t get into the detail!!).
4. Should Have: The workstreams in separate “Swim Lanes”.
5. Should Have: Milestones of key events, when you expect them.
6. Could Have: Areas of high risk.
7. Could Have: Areas where you have dependencies.
It gives a sense of the Project Goals: Either explicitly in plain words: “The goal is …”.
It shows the plans for a project in simple terms: not too detailed – just the high-level titles! (keep to 4 or less in each workstream).
It fits on 1 side of paper (or 1 slide in a presentation) to keep it simple!
It shows project plans alongside a timeline.
You can read it and understand it in 3 minutes or less.
It avoids acronyms and team jargon, so that anyone can understand it!
It has your name on it – so people can contact you with questions.
Step-by-Step guide to creating a Roadmap
See our Creating a Roadmap guide here.
Creating a Roadmap can have useful side-effects
The process of creating a roadmap, with key project stakeholders and team members, can be a very useful exercise for your team, because it:-
- Ensures that the team and stakeholders understand capacity
- Forces priority decisions
- Promotes a shared understanding in the wider team
Roadmap Examples and Samples
This Transition Plan Powerpoint template is the perfect way to show your plans and important business milestones. Show worksteams, milestones,…
This Business Roadmap Template includes business planning Workstreams, risk level, SWOT, PESTLE, Timeline, Milestones and two different styles so that…
The Microsoft Excel Transition Plan Template presents your transition in simple roadmap graphic, so that anyone can understand it rapidly.…
Show the changes in resource levels for each of your projects or workstreams over time. Highlight costs, project timings, resource…
The Powerpoint Programme Roadmap Template gives a descriptive and clear view of your programme plans for Exec Board stakeholders: Timeline…
This One Year Keynote Programme Plan has been used for many exec and boardroom presentations. It includes timelines, milestones and…
This easy-to-follow Powerpoint Roadmap Template Guide will walk you through a 6 step process to create your own Project Roadmap…
This Powerpoint Roadmap with PEST Factors Template shows how your Project delivers Strategic Benefit. See PEST, KPI, Risk, Phases and…
Save more than 70% on this bundle of premium graphical formats for Project and Product managers. Show your team plans,…
Use this Powerpoint Change Programme Roadmap Template to refine your programme plans into an inspirational story. This will save you…
This Keynote Roadmap Template contains 3 simple, MAC compatible Roadmaps. Easily editable on MAC Keynote. The design is neutral to…
This Stylish Powerpoint Template uses a modern Infographic design to give your Roadmap Presentation more impact.