Is Innovation Reporting a Special Case?
What’s different about Innovation Projects?
In addition to the normal areas of project & portfolio reporting, Innovation status reports require updates on the spread and movement of concepts in development.
There are also elements, such as resource allocation (with the Eisenhower matrix – see below), that may need re-iterating to stakeholders.
Areas of The Innovation Project Status Report Template
- Summary Status Report Slides: 6 variations.
- Summary Traffic Light + RAID log.
- Summary Traffic Light, 4 Dials, Concept Matrix, and RAID log.
- Summary + Transfer Progress chart.
- Round summary 5 x RAG Dials.
- Traffic Light RAG summary: 4 Areas.
- Traffic Light RAG summary: 5 Areas.
- Innovation Rollout Report Slide:
- Shows Programme Rollout status in Roadmap format.
- Status Report boxes at the bottom of slide.
- Innovation Conversion Funnel Status:
- Simple: 4 Columns and 3 Rows
- Intermediate Level: 6 Columns.
- Advanced Level: Includes notes & actions.
- KPI: Dashboard.
- Dashboard with 5 KPIs, showing “Current” and “Target”.
- Innovation SWOT Dashboard
- “Count” row to show # of elements in each of S.W.O.T.
- List row.
- Notes row.
- Actions row.
- Eisenhower Matrix for Innovation Resource Allocation.
- Six Guidance Slides to help explain the concept.
- Resource Allocation slide to show strategic balance.
- Innovation Radar:
- A lightweight “Update” slide to inform stakeholders.
- Lists “Internal” and “External” opportunities.
- Lists “Distractions” if you are steering your stakeholders away from mistakes.
- Innovation Highlights Report:
- A simple “Update” slide to give an unstructured report.
Some elements from the Innovation Status Report Template
The Innovation Project Status Report template includes guidance slides, notes and tips.
Business Best Practice
Your project success relies on you communicating project status. Use these tips and templates to help