Explore the elements that are important for Digital Transformation in 2022 – leadership, vision, information management, agile philosophy.
While the digital media side of “Digitalization” started in the 1960s and 70s (with NHK in Japan, and the BBC in the UK), digital transformation in businesses kicked off in the 1990s, with the replacement of document-led processes with data-led processes. Even so, the term “Digital Transformation” was not coined until 2011 by MIT & Capgemini.
The essence of Digital Transformation is about harnessing technology to make your business more effective, and quite often this is eclipsed by the noise created when people’s jobs are changed as a direct result. As such, with current economic dynamics, and with new tech emerging all the time, the important foundations and scaffolding to execute digital transformations are in constant flux.
Here’s what we think for 2022.
Digital Transformation in 2022
1. Increased commoditization of marketing tech : Single customer view, 1st person data etc.
2. Increasing use of AI for curation and creative tasks (see Jarvis et al).
3. Increasing use of AI (artificial intelligence) for automation.
4. Decreased use of “Enterprise” software; people no longer trust the “big bang” expensive deployments.
While digital transformation has always been a people-led process, there is now a huge emphasis on facilitating new value delivery by enabling staff and teams through innovative knowledge management processes.
1. Knowledge Graphs.
2. Predictive analytics (Machine learning and AI).
3. Customer Data Platforms (for B2C and D2C businesses, and some B2B businesses).
4. Data Mesh & Data Fabric patterns.
5. Tools and SaaS to help create training corpora for AI systems.
General FAQs on Digital Transformation
Digital Transformation is the move from classic, siloed, person-centric business processes to connected, data-led, digital business processes.
1. A simple, shared vision that answers “What does good look like?”
2. Rapid delivery of new value: Launch quick, launch early.
3. A commitment to ongoing innovation.
4. An agile delivery philosophy to enable continuous improvement.
5. A move from document-led to data-led.
1. The shift from manual processes to machine-supported processes.
2. Transformation from document-led processes to data-led processes.
3. A move from information being stored in people’s heads and local documents into metadata enabled knowledge management systems.
4. Reorganization of org structures, departments, and teams to better support new processes.
5. Some elements of human stress, due to accelerated change on many levels.
A. Focus on a simple, shared vision. Keep it visible, and make sure it facilitates rapid decisions.
B. Launch new capabilities early and frequently, to show there is movement and new value.
C. Hold regular innovation events focused on your challenges to engage everyone.
D. Use in-house teams to create new elements
No! Digital Transformation is about making more of your talented teams by using data and technology to do the heavy lifting. It enables your experts to operate more enjoyably and efficiently, and to spend more time using their talent to make a difference!
Are you short on time?
Use these templates to help with this Best Practice:
This selection of Digital Transformation Templates includes formats that have been used in over 120 countries by more than 5000 professionals. Download now to save time create great documents quickly.See: Digital Transformation Templates – Discount Bundle
Business Topics that support this Best Practice
A Playback document is a pre-agreement that covers the terms of commercial offering. It is used to ensure that both parties involved in a commercial transaction are on the same page about what is expected.See: Playback Document
A stylish PowerPoint comparison template which lets you quickly and effectively show the difference between different companies or products.See: Comparison Template
This Transition Plan Powerpoint template is the perfect way to show your plans and important business milestones. Show worksteams, milestones, risk levels & more.See: Transition Plan Powerpoint
This Google Sheets Roadmap Template can be uploaded and used on Google Drive (G Suite) for business, so that you can use our professional roadmap layouts easily.See: Google Sheets Compatible Roadmap Template (Excel)