Managing Stakeholders in Agile Projects can be tough in large or old organisations. Have you heard this: “YES. We are agile. But you must tell me what I will get and when!” It’s painful.
The natural tension between Agile and Senior Stakeholder Structures
Upper management in large organisations and Programme Management structures (e.g. PMO) have a natural conflict of interests (or ‘tension’) with agile principles – i.e.
- Management and PMO want details on what is going to be delivered and when – i.e. Definition Up Front! – and
- The Agile product delivery team want to adapt and change dates and features as & when the customer/audience change – i.e. Definition When it’s NEEDED!
Addressing the tension – how to run Agile in large Stakeholder structures
So – how should we approach the comms around an Agile Project / Programme, and stakeholder management?
Clear “Release” / “Goal” Planning
- Describe your Releases (i.e. the significant product drops / deliveries) clearly
- Provide a clear 1-sider about each release, outlining what the business goals are
Manage expectations with “The Cone of Uncertainty”
- For each aspect of the release, clearly define the expected variance of estimates, according to degree of certainty
- So, if you have allowed e.g. 2 sprints / iterations for a feature, but do not plan to unpack the user stories until later on, assign an appropriate +/- 40% caveat to the estimation
- For more info
Focus on Epic User Stories / High-level Features
i.e. use High Level Requirements (EPICS / Features / Themes) to define the delivery
- Do not break down your Epics / Features into user stories unless:-
- They are about to go into iteration, or
- They are very high risk or unknown, and you can’t attach any estimation.
- So – avoid breaking down the WHOLE delivery into User Stories.
- It is in direct conflict with Agile and Lean to invest in definition unless you NEED to.
- So – only spend the teams’ time on defining user stories at the point of implementation.
- Keep these high level requirements flexible – this gives you agile wiggle room and scope flexibility at the point of implementation.
- Estimate the Epics in Story Points or T-Shirt sizes.
Keep Progress Clear
- Update your stakeholders regularly on where you are with Features / Epics implementation.
- Use a simple format (e.g. Release Plan) to explain which workstreams are delivering which features, and when.
Run a High-Level RAID Log and reference your Epics
- Use a RAID log to speak in Senior Stakeholder ‘lingo’.
- Keep this light, and do not go into too much detail.
- Update each sprint, or as serious RAID changes emerge.
Leave room to manoeuvre within your Epics
- When defining your high level features or “Epics”, keep the scoping high-level.
- Be clear and strategic about the scenarios and success criteria.
- Assign risk information to your Epics – raise stakeholder awareness of which features are risky / giving issues.
- This will enable them to help you prioritise.
- In healthy organisations, this provides a diologue in which to descope and reprioritise high level features.
Include High Level “Non Functional Requirements” (NFR s)
- Be sure to include any significant NFRs.
- e.g. (and not limited to-) :
- Ingegration requirements.
- Load testing, User testing, Stakeholder Acceptance testing requirements.
- Performance testing.
- contingency for all of the above.
Communicate Agile Plans to Senior Stakeholders
Here are some reporting formats that you can use to communicate Agile plans to Senior Stakeholders:
A stylish roadmap template in excel format - perfect for adding to existing financial sheets so all your project details…
Get 83% off our 24 most popular Powerpoint Roadmap Template products as a discount bundle. The perfect Agile & Strategic…
The Product Roadmap Template 2016 is a stylish take on our existing successful Roadmap formats. The clean graphic design appeals…
This Visio Agile Release Plan Template is designed to help Scrum Teams coordinate Product MVP release planning. Uses a Story…
The Project Retrospective & Lessons Learned template provides a simple how to guide to run a positive and productive Project…
Roadmaps, User Story Mapping, Minimum Viable Product, Retrospective, Release Plans and more in this Agile Project Template discount bundle.
Including our most popular planning templates - RAID, Roadmap, Agile, Lean, Timeline, Product Plans - The Project Planning Template Bundle…
Ideal for presenting a Product or Project launch, this Project Rollout Plan Template includes plan formats for the crucial time…
The User Story Mapping template helps agile release planning, ensuring structure to the backlog driven by business benefits.
Our most popular Visio Roadmap format, first started in 2005! With 5 Workstreams, Activities, Milestones, Risks - the best "at…
Show how your resources are allocated on your Project Timeline. This Agile Resource Plan Template shows resource allocation and investment…
This stylish Visio Agile Roadmap shows your Product Plans over time, It includes Workstreams, milestones, KPIs, and stylish graphics. Loved…
The Powerpoint Agile Roadmap Template features 4 agile formats: Dashboard, Iteration, Theme, and 2-year Roadmaps - all in easy to…
This Powerpoint Business Goal Deployment Roadmap template will enable you to quickly communicate your strategy. The simple format is easy…
The Powerpoint Resource Plan template shows resource types, workstreams, milestones, and timeline. Ideal for Agile.
Featuring 15 Powerpoint Timeline Template Presentation slide formats: Roadmaps, Timelines, Infographics, Project Plans, with 3, 4 and 5 Workstreams to…
Show clear workstream delivery plans and milestones with this Visio Product Delivery Plan Roadmap Template. Easily editable with a configurable…
This Powerpoint Product Plan template includes 5 SWOT analysis, 6 PESTLE analysis, and 5 Product Roadmap formats to show plans…
The Project Crisis Management Dashboard & Log Register has tools to manage a project recovery. RAID, plus Actions and Repairs.…
The Agile Release Plan Template allows you to show your Agile Programme Plan featuring EPICs and THEMEs, with Release Dates.…
Show your teams, workstream plans, job roles & names, alongside your projects & timeline. This Product Resource Delivery Plan shows…
This Visio Roadmap Template with PEST and KPIs shows how your Product or Programme delivers Strategic Benefit. For use with…