1. Create 2-5 horizontal workstreams, one for each ongoing area of your product or project.
2. Set the Timeframe along the top (weeks / months / years).
3. Establish the important activities in each workstream.
4. Communicate risk levels, emphasise the highest 1-3 risky areas.
5. Set a few Milestones along the timeline at the top.
6. Add callouts for any remaining important messages.
Keynote Roadmap Slide in a bit more detail
In ALL AREAS, you should be focussing on keeping the message simple and clear. You must be able to read the whole roadmap template within 5 minutes.
- Name your workstreams.
- We advise 3-6 workstreams.
- These can be teams, or categories of work.
- Try to avoid acronyms or jargon.
- Set the Timeframe.
- Not too long – be careful of over-promising in the long term.
- Think about your target audience for the roadmap, and manage expectations.
- Establish the important activities.
- These are your projects or features or initiatives.
- Do not list them all – just the important information you want remembered.
- Communicate Risk levels.
- Another great way to manage expectations.
- Be honest, and be clear.
- Admit when you do not have a mitigation.
- Set Milestones.
- Again, just the important messages you want to sink in.
- Five or six should be the maximum.
- Add remaining important points.
- Are there any points left as part of your story?
- Add them in.
Short on time?
Use these templates to help with business best practice:
Related Business Best Practices
Here’s a step by step guide to create one quickly – 5 minutes for a 1 side Roadmap.
If you have a presentation to do, and are using Keynote on a Mac, here’s the process to help you.
A Project Roadmap is the best format to communicate project plans to executive boards and stakeholders. Here’s how to create one.
Create a simple Excel Product Roadmap using normal Excel editing tools.
If you need to show KPIs on your Product Roadmap, have a look at these approaches and examples.
Simple steps, and examples of a road map for the project. Easy to understand. Easy to download examples.
I have a presentation to do, which requires a Roadmap Slide – how do I do it in Powerpoint?
All Business Best Practice
See all Business Best Practice here.