1. Decide the timeframe, and set a timeline along the top of the page.
2. Establish 2-6 “Workstreams” as horizontal rectangles under the timeline.
3. Set out the “work units” as small boxes with labels in each workstream, up to 6 per workstream.
4. Decide a few key deliverables and set them as milestones above the timeline.
More Information on Powerpoint Product Roadmaps
The Powerpoint Roadmap is an essential tool in every Project Manager and Product Manager’s toolbox.
Massive Gantt Charts become unweildy. WBS diagrams are too complex.
So – the Roadmap format can communicate your plans, key milestones and status “at a glance”.
Example Powerpoint Product Roadmap Template
With all of these steps, bear in mind that you must keep the document un-cluttered; the idea is that your stakeholders can take in the overall message in 2-3 minutes. Keep it simple!
- List your “Workstreams” – what are the project teams, or streams of activity, that make up your Project/Product?
- Decide the timeframe – what is the length of time most useful for your comms, and most useful to get your message across?
- Set out the “work units” in each workstream – what are the large project units, of at least 1 month, that make up your workstreams?
- Decide the key deliverables & milestones – what are the most important deliverables or “project moments” that you need to focus people on?
- Include any key messages, using infographics or colour coding – what are the status, positive, or indeed warning messages you want to communicate?
- Select a template – which of the templates below will save you time in creating a stunning Powerpoint Roadmap format?
If you are going to be creating a lot of Powerpoint Roadmap formats, consider our Powerpoint Roadmap Template Discount Bundle (will save you over 50%).
Short on time?
Use these templates to help with business best practice:
Related Business Best Practices
A Project Roadmap is the best format to communicate project plans to executive boards and stakeholders. Here’s how to create one.
Here’s a step by step guide to create one quickly – 5 minutes for a 1 side Roadmap.
If you have a presentation to do, and are using Keynote on a Mac, here’s the process to help you.
If you need to show KPIs on your Product Roadmap, have a look at these approaches and examples.
Simple steps, and examples of a road map for the project. Easy to understand. Easy to download examples.
A good Product Strategy is simple and focused. Whatever your product is, and whatever pain points it solves, focus on your strengths.
I have a presentation to do, which requires a Roadmap Slide – how do I do it in Powerpoint?
There are plenty of formats to choose from: Progress Reports, Rollout Roadmaps, Backlogs, Dashboards and more.
All Business Best Practice
See all Business Best Practice here.